Optimisation Task Settings
The Optimisation Task extracts all the records that could be eligible for each Optimised Campaign. These Available Records are then reserved for a single campaign according to the priority values. It is possible that the Audience of a particular campaign fails to run (for example. if a Virtual Variable is missing).
The available settings are:
- Continue Without Campaign (default): the Optimisation Task proceeds without this campaign. This means that there are no Reserved Records for this Campaign when it comes to run later that day. The “No Reserved Records” setting then dictates what the campaign does in this situation. Other campaigns are, however, optimised and able to run as normal.
If the campaign which failed to be optimised is set to “Run using Any Records” it is possible that it will use records that have been reserved for other campaigns.
- Cancel Whole Optimisation: the whole Optimisation Task is stopped and an error is issued, such that no campaigns have Reserved Records when they run that day. The Optimisation Task will try to run again the next day.
Optimised Campaign Settings
No Reserved Records Found
When an optimised campaign runs, it expects to find a set of records reserved and stored in the database. This might not be the case if:
- An error occurred during the daily Optimisation Task and it continued without this campaign
- The campaign has already run and used the Reserved Records, and is running for a second time before another set has been prepared. This will not happen unless a user has intervened and changed the schedule on the campaign, since the original schedule must only run once within the Optimisation Window.
The available settings are:
- Run avoiding Higher Priority Campaigns (default): the campaign runs, excluding any records reserved for higher priority optimised campaigns, and within the limits set by other constraints at the time it is run
- Run using Any Records: the campaign runs as though there is no optimisation, having a free selection of records within the limits set by other constraints at the time it runs. Note: The campaign may use records that have been reserved for other optimised campaigns, in which case these records won’t be available later when those campaigns run
- Skip Run: the campaign is prevented from running on this occasion and no records are selected. It will try again on the next occurrence of its schedule
Before Optimisation Period
The area level Optimisation Task has its own schedule, specifying the range of dates and the time each day at which the Optimisation process runs. Some published campaigns may have schedules that determine they run before the first run of this process. In this case there are no Reserved Records and, therefore, there are similar settings to the more general case described above. These settings are only used up to the point when the first area level task has run.
- Don’t Run (default): the campaign is prevented from running until the first run of the Optimisation Task
- Run with Any Records: the campaign runs as though there is no optimisation, having a free selection of records within the limits set by other constraints at the time it is run
Added in Q2 2019